Endowed with abundant natural wealth and possessing a young and still growing population, Africa is undergoing major transformations. Key global powers—the United States, China, the European Union, India, and Russia—are playing an increasing role in shaping the destiny of the continent.
The presence of enormous energy, mineral and agricultural resources make several African states key components of the global economy. Having been largely ignored in the foreign and economic affairs of the major powers in the past, Africa is clearly on the international agenda now. There has probably never been a better time to consider the challenges and promise of this area.
This one-day program is broadcast live from the Capitol Hill Club and streamed via YouTube (or other available platforms) to military bases and personnel around the world. The program will feature a minimum of four presentations in the morning followed by an open panel discussion in the afternoon. Questions from the attendees will be fielded by the program moderator via “chat.”
- Africa: Legacies of the Past, Aspirations for the Future, and Present Performance
- The Great Game in the Horn of Africa
- The Terrorism Threat from Africa
- Nigeria, Ethiopia, Egypt, and South Africa: Four Pivots of Strategic Change in 2021
- Africa at the Crossroads: Political Choice and Economic Growth
- Human Security: Grave Challenges to African Democracy and Governance
- Non-State Actors and the Rule of Law in 2021 Africa
- China and Africa in the Xi Jinping Era
- Regional Pandemics, Environmental Issues, and the Strain on Natural Resources
- Resources, Conflict and Migration
- Africa’s Economic, Geopolitical and Military Importance to the United States
Exceptionally relevant topics and highly-credentialed speakers; very thought-provoking, in a great way; all speakers were appropriate as were the topics. As well-run and organized a class/course as I’ve ever been to.
The experience and breadth of knowledge of all the speakers was spectacular. Their chosen topics for discussion were absolutely relevant to this audience and we were provided several themes that help to guide our planning assumptions.J.C., Joint Enabling Capabilities Command • Professional Development Course February 2017
Very interesting group of speakers! Best seminar/program I’ve attended in 34 + years.P.F., Air Force • Leadership in a Transformational Age Seminar July 2016
Excellent course, provided me some valuable insight into important issues. I leave here better equipped as a leader.H. Hutchison, Air Force
Format is terrific! Lots of speakers from across government enterprise and no power points. Plenty of time for engaging dialogue. I love to hear what experts and insiders have to say about out WDC enterprise.J. Haywood, Wright Patterson Air Force Base